Who We Are
Cardless is a fintech startup. Our mission is to make consumer credit more accessible, useful, and engaging, and we do that by partnering with brands to help them launch financial products.
We've begun with a focus on co-branded credit cards. We've launched cards with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Manchester United, the Boston Celtics (click here to see a full list of all our cards); and we have more brands on the way! Our cards are digital-first, consumer-friendly, and tailored to both brands & fans with delightful discounts & rewards.
Read more about our business, our product, and what it's like to work at Cardless in these blog posts from our team and industry experts:
We're headquartered in San Francisco, but we're building a remote-friendly team across the continental US. We were founded in 2019, and we last raised a $40M Series B in 2021. Our investors include top VCs like Activant, Accomplice, and Greycroft; founders from successful startups like Plaid, SeatGeek, and FiveStars; and executives from major sports teams like the Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns.
As Director of Marketing your goal will be to get our cards in the hands of thousands of the customers of brands we partner with. You’ll define what marketing at Cardless looks like, how we work with our brand partners and develop playbooks for how they market our co-branded cards. You’ll manage a wide variety of projects in close collaboration with the brands we partner with, colleagues from risk, compliance, operations, product, and engineering. And finally, you’ll be an important part of our leadership team, helping to drive strategy company-wide. You should have a successful track record of developing marketing strategies, whether product or performance, optimizing ROI, and reporting on metrics to leadership.
- Develop Cardless’s marketing strategy to meet business goals
- Translate strategies into clear frameworks that encourage our partners to work with us and invest in marketing & consumer acquisition activities
- Serve as a strategic partner to the marketing counterparts of the brands we work
- Develop and manage the performance marketing budget
- Collaborate with internal partners and agencies on brief writing, establishing timelines, launching new campaigns, creative testing, implementing/QA'ing tagging and tracking, and monitoring performance to continue growth and success of existing and new acquisition programs
- Work closely with Product to understand and craft the user journey from awareness, consideration, application, onboarding, and usage / churn, and propose and drive improvements to the entire ecosystem
- Identify new user acquisition channels, test and measure how well they perform and scale to help drive ROI.
- Build and maintain performance reporting and analysis across all acquisition channels - aggregate and analyze data from a variety of sources to measure the effectiveness of marketing initiatives and identify insights into customer behavior
- Collaborate cross-functionally with partners in compliance, strategy, and business development to create, support, and execute content and campaigns
- Work cross-functionally to support retention and lifecycle focused initiatives
- Build effective relationships with vendors – ad networks, technology partners, etc.
- 7+ years of marketing experience across one or more marketing disciplines (i.e. performance, product, partnerships or co-marketing)
- A consultative approach and the ability to influence outcomes over which you don’t have direct control (i.e. with partners)
- Strategic, customer-centric thinking with business and brand complexities understanding and the ability to develop marketing approaches that address these nuances
- Strong understanding of digital analytics/data, working knowledge of digital analytics platforms such as Google Analytics, Tableau, Google Ads
- Lead by example with an experimentation and measurement mindset, while appreciating creativity and curiosity in the experiments you conduct and team members you hire.
- We're headquartered in San Francisco, CA, with a beautiful office in the Mission District (near Dolores Park). We welcome employees who want to work from this office; we offer additional benefits to those who do (see below), and relocation assistance to those who'd like to.
- We are hiring remotely across the continental US for most roles. We work hard to create a first-class, remote-friendly environment, with an additional benefit for remote employees, too (see below).
- We regularly bring our team together for offsites & trips, about every 2 months, both for fun and for work. We cover all travel & lodging in these cases.
- A condition of employment at Cardless is being fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID prior to beginning your employment. We’ll ask you to send us a copy of your vaccination card in advance of your first day.
Benefits & perks
For all employees, we offer:
💸 Highly competitive salaries, significant equity, and a 401(k) plan
🏥 Top-of-the-line healthcare (medical, vision, and dental), with 100% primary coverage and 75% dependent coverage for medical
🌴 Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 15 days off per year
👶 Parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
✈️ Amazing team trips & offsites (e.g. rock climbing in Utah, watching a Cavs game in a suite, and staying in an Italian villa in Carmel Valley)
👥 Access to amazing advisors & investors, like Gil Shklarski (Flatiron Health CTO), Dorothy Kilroy (Airbnb & Marqeta exec), and Frank Mastrangelo (Bancorp founder)
For in-office employees:
🍱 Catered lunch at the office every day, plus plenty of snacks & drinks
🚎 $250/month commuter assistance for public transit or our parking garage
For remote employees:
🖥️ $500 remote setup stipend to help you do your best work
We believe that the best companies are the ones that successfully align their vision and values, that match their decision making processes, hiring criteria, and overall operating principles to the change they’re striving to make. We're willing to spend significant time and resources to be above average at the following things, because we believe that will lead to long term success.
- Be curious and be the solution. We work in a complex space. In order to be successful, we must think globally and collaborate cross-functionally. We ask thoughtful questions without judgment and propose comprehensive solutions that address the full picture. We are all owners at Cardless — mindful and empowered.
- Start with the customer. Our customers are our priority. Our care for them drives our actions. The first question we always ask is: how will this impact the customer? We make every decision, no matter how big or small, with the customer top of mind.
- Move fast and build things. We are a startup in a highly regulated space, so we must execute with both speed and precision. We achieve this through deliberate focus, methodical preparation, and disciplined execution. We build, learn, improve, and repeat.
- A place to do your best work. We are a team, and we achieve more together than apart. At Cardless, we want to see each other succeed: we take as much pride in each other’s work as our own. We celebrate and seek out diversity of experience, thought, and background in order to accelerate both individual and company growth. We're hungry, we're passionate, and we’re inspired to achieve great things together.