Who we are
Cardless is a new type of credit card company. We exist to make credit cards in the U.S. more fair, useful, and delightful.
We're beginning by helping brands launch their own ("co-branded") credit cards more quickly & easily. We just launched our first two cards with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Manchester United, and we're excited for many more to come. Our cards are digital-first, consumer-friendly, and tailored to both brands & fans with delightful discounts & rewards.
Read more about our business and our product in these blog posts from our founders and an industry expert:
Cardless is seeking a Chief Compliance Officer to join our fast-growing Legal and Compliance team working on building custom credit card programs for brands. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Chief Compliance Officer will be responsible for scaling and implementing a company-wide compliance program and team for the company’s daily operations in consumer lending and as the company grows.
- Lead Cardless’ Compliance team to improve our existing Compliance program by implementing and maintaining company-wide programs designed to meet applicable legal and regulatory requirements
- Administer and keep up-to-date policies and procedures to ensure continued company compliance with applicable regulatory and legal statutes
- Manage internal and external regulatory examinations, audits, inquiries, and reviews related to Cardless’ consumer lending activities and practices
- Investigate, develop, and implement appropriate action plans in response to regulatory, testing, or audit findings
- Identify current and emerging regulatory risks, develop and implement risk mitigation plans
- Provide oversight of advertising and marketing programs, including approval processes and regulatory submissions
- Advise product and engineering teams on regulatory requirements related to new products and existing product enhancements
- Prepare and submit regulatory form filings as well as other internal and external reports
- Help to manage regulatory relationships, and lead development of responses to regulatory examination requests and inquiries
- Work closely with our internal team and our bank partner to launch, operate, and scale and grow Cardless’ credit card programs and internal Compliance team
- Minimum 10+ years of experience as a compliance professional in a banking, credit card or other highly-regulated consumer-facing financial service industry
- Subject matter expertise in banking, credit card, advertising, financial and consumer laws and regulations including the statutes and laws under the purview of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation among other regulatory agencies. Expertise should include handling matters involving questions involving Truth in Lending Act, Reg Z, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, NACHA rules, UDAAP, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, FDCPA, FACTA, etc.
- Extensive experience in launching and scaling credit card compliance programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous and unstructured environment
- Experience working closely with operations, engineering, customer success, and risk to implement compliance policies and procedures
- Oversee the records retention program, develop and implement data access controls, and administer compliance to satisfy privacy and data obligations
- Record of leading a compliance team and mentoring and coaching team members to success
With San Francisco reopening, we're excited to return to in-person collaboration and grow in SF. Our office is in the sunny Mission District near Dolores Park (and it's beautiful).
To support an easier transition back, we're letting employees work remotely up to 2 days/week, though this may change in the future.
We're happy to cover up to $5,000 in relocation costs if you don't already live in the Bay Area. We also provide commuter benefits and a childcare stipend (see below).
If working from San Francisco is untenable for you, but you’d love to join us and you have meaningful experience working remotely, let us know. (We'd love to hear about your experience with mixed office+remote in particular.) We're not hiring remotely right now, but we value learning from others and re-evaluating our decisions with new information.
Benefits & perks
In addition to competitive salaries and meaningful equity, we offer:
- 👩🏾⚕️ Top-of-the-line healthcare (medical, vision, and dental), with 100% primary coverage (and 75% dependent) for medical
- 🌴 Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 15 days off per year
- 🍱 Lunch at the office every day, and $30/day lunch expense for days you work from home
- 🚎 $220/month expense for public transit (BART/Muni) or our parking garage, plus covered Uber/Lyft after hours to the BART stop or parking garage
- 🐣 $500/month childcare stipend through August, to help parents with childcare costs until their kids return to school
- 🍄 Free snacks & drinks in our office (along with ⬆️ standing desks, 🖥️ large-screen monitors, a lovely 🌳 outdoor garden, and an indoor 🏓 ping pong table)
- ✈️ Amazing team trips & offsites, including via our brand partners (e.g. the Cavs invited us to watch a game in a suite, and we stayed in a Ritz-Carlton across the street)
Culture & values
We're small & early, so we're still shaping our culture and expect to iterate on it. But for now, we value:
- Curiosity & humility. Our domain is complex, requiring input from many perspectives (product, engineering, design, legal/compliance, risk, operations, partnerships, and more) to be successful. We try to keep an open mind and listen to our colleagues.
- Diversity & inclusion. We're building a product for mainstream America, so representation matters. We strive to create equitable processes & policies and keep learning & improving.
- Quality & craft. Correctness, reliability, regulatory compliance, privacy & security… These things matter in our domain. We try to get them right the first time around.
- Rigor & discipline. We map our work to company goals and measure our progress with data; we think through the tradeoffs of our decisions; and we write & review design docs too, not just code. We approach our work with maturity and strive to build the world-class organization we all want to work in.
- Impact & growth! We all deeply want to succeed, and we believe that your individual success is our collective success. We're happy to give you significant ownership & responsibility and help you rise to the occasion.